Depression during Pregnancy
A pregnant woman who is trying to cope with depression needs support. You may feel helpless during this difficult time and may think there is little you can do, but you can make a difference. Here are some suggestions that may help a mother with depression:
- Encourage her to talk about her feelings.
- Show that you are trying to understand.
- Help with or take over household chores and responsibilities.
- Let her know that she is loved and valued.
- Let friends know when she doesn’t feel like having company.
- Say yes when friends or family offer to help with things like cleaning the house or caring for other children. She needs some time for herself during pregnancy.
- If you are a partner, be loving without asking for sex.
- Try not to act like you think she is making a fuss over nothing.
Depression in pregnancy is a serious health issue. If you have concerns about how she is coping, show your support and concern. One way to do this is by going with her to visit her healthcare provider and sharing your concerns. It is important for you to also find someone to talk with if you are feeling overwhelmed. Try speaking with a family member or friend.