Ways you can help a new mother
A mother who is trying to cope with postpartum depression needs support. You may feel helpless during this difficult time and may think there is little you can do, but you can make a difference. Here are some suggestions that may help a mother:
- Encourage her to talk about her feelings.
- Show that you are trying to understand.
- Help with or take over household chores and responsibilities.
- Let her know that she is loved and valued.
- Let friends know when she doesn’t feel like having company.
- Say yes when friends or family offer to help with things like cleaning the house or helping care for the baby. She needs some time away from her baby.
- If you are a partner, be loving without asking for sex.
- Try not to act like you think she is making a fuss over nothing.
Postpartum depression is a serious health issue. If you have concerns about how she is coping, show your support and concern. One way to do this is by going with her to visit her healthcare provider and sharing your concerns. It is also important for you to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Choose a family member or a friend.