Medical Care during Pregnancy
Prenatal Genetic Screening
Prenatal genetic screening is a blood test available to all pregnant women in British Columbia. This screening tells you the chance of your baby having Down syndrome, trisomy 18 or an open neural tube defect. It is your choice whether to have prenatal genetic screening. The earlier you see your health care provider, the more options you will have.
Points to keep in mind:
- Most women who have a prenatal screen get a result showing that chances are low for these conditions.
- Although some women will screen positive, most will not have a baby with one of these conditions.
- Prenatal screening detects most babies with these conditions, but not all.
- Sometimes prenatal screening may detect other medical conditions in your baby.
- It is important to remember that no test detects every type of physical or mental condition.
If you need more information to help make your decision, talk to your health care provider or visit the BC Prenatal Genetic Screening Program website.