Breastfeeding Your Toddler
The World Health Organization, Health Canada, Dietitians of Canada, and the Canadian Paediatric Society recommend that you continue to breastfeed after you start giving your baby solid foods at six months. It is recommended that you continue to breastfeed for two years or longer.
Benefits of Breast Milk for Your Toddler:
- Is an excellent source of nutrition.
- Is the best type of milk for young children.
- Helps prevent colds, ear infections, and other infections.
- Helps your toddler develop healthy teeth.
- May help prevent diabetes, heart disease, and obesity later in life.
- May improve brain development (higher IQ).
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mom:
- Decreases the risk of certain cancers.
- May decrease the risk of osteoporosis.
- Costs less than formula.
- Is convenient and time saving (no bottles).
- Is environmentally friendly (no waste).