Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide (Canada’s Food Guide) can help you with healthy eating habits. These habits will help during breastfeeding and throughout the rest of your life. Remember to:
- enjoy a variety of foods from the four food groups every day
- eat three meals and two to three small snacks every day
- eat foods rich in nutrients
- limit foods and beverages high in calories, fat and sugar or salt (sodium) such as cakes, pastries, doughnuts, potato chips, fruit flavoured drinks, soft drinks, sports drinks and energy drinks
- limit foods high in trans fat
- drink lots of water to satisfy your thirst
- have a glass of water, milk, soup, or 100% juice within reach whenever you are breastfeeding
When you are breastfeeding you need energy and nutrients. Add 2 or 3 more Food Guide servings from Canada’s Food Guide each day. Check out Health Canada’s Food Guide Servings Tracker for breastfeeding women. You can also check out Health Canada’s webpage on following the Food Guide during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
For information about how to eat well with Canada’s Food Guide, click here.
Breastfeeding women need more calories. Add 2 to 3 more Food Guide servings from Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide.
Suggestions for Healthy Snacks
- fresh fruit
- raisins and nuts
- raw vegetables and dip
- crackers and cheese
- yogurt with fruit
- cereal, with or without milk
- fruit shake
- peanut butter on toast
- slice of veggie pizza