Ages 18‑24 Months
- Play with your toddler by pretending to be an animal: "hop like a frog, fly like a bird, jump like a rabbit."
- Offer things like finger paints, paints and easels, ride-on toys, and push-pull toys.
- Only help your toddler dress and undress when needed.
- Spend lots of time playing outdoors in safe places, like a toddler playground. Try toys that allow pushing and pedalling with feet.
What Your Toddler is Likely to Do
- Ride on a small‑wheeled toy.
- Carry a large toy while walking.
- Kick a ball.
- Squat while playing.
- Walk backwards or sideways while pulling a toy.
- Back into a chair to sit down.
- Remove lids from containers.
- Nest cups and boxes inside each other.
- Take off his or her shoes, hat, and socks.
- String large beads with two hands.
- Raise and drink from a cup, then put it back on the table.
Other Things Your Toddler May Do
- Walk on tiptoes.
- Throw and go get objects.
- Jump in place with both feet.
- Catch a large ball.
- Open doors by turning knobs.
- Copy straight or circular strokes with a crayon.
- Snip with child‑sized scissors.
- Fold paper in half.
How You Can Help Physical Development
- Continue to breastfeed.
- Spend lots of time playing outdoors in safe places, like a toddler playground. Try running and kicking balls.
- Look for child‑sized versions of adult things, such as furniture, a soccer ball, a plastic baseball and bat, or garden tools.
- Try toys that allow pushing and pedalling with feet.
- Play with your toddler by pretending to be an animal: “hop like a frog, fly like a bird, jump like a rabbit.”
- Describe your toddler’s movements and actions as she or he does them. If your toddler climbs the stairs, say, “You’re climbing the stairs.”
- Play different kinds of music for your toddler to dance to, such as marches, rock ’n’ roll, and waltzes.
- Encourage your toddler to dress and undress on his or her own.
- Only help when needed.
- Provide lots of containers during bath time.
- Offer activities that require the sorting of shapes.
- Offer things like finger paints, paints and easels, ride‑on toys, and push‑pull toys.